Self Care; wise words

Self care isn't always Lush bath bombs and pamper days. Its making sure you get your tea while its still hot rather than rushing about after everyone else, making sure you get that 8 hours sleep you need or even just having that five seconds to breathe. When you have a caring mentality it can be hard to realise that the person you should be caring about the most is yourself. If you start falling apart how are you meant to help others?

Recently I was told that I am drawn towards people who need support and guidance and give my all helping them become the person they deserve to be. This was such a beautiful thing to hear however that wasn't their final point. They went on to tell me that sometimes I give too much and this can negatively effect my own mental health and in many cases my financial status.

Its horrible to think that sometimes you need to take a step back from others and look after yourself. To go back to my previous point, when you're at your lowest you won't be in a fit state to look after others. I know personally when I am low I struggle to move from my bed some days never  mind support others with my best ability. Looking back at my life I know that I have had many one sided friendships when it came to supporting one another. For the most part I didn't realise the situation I was in until someone close to me would help me see the full picture. Helping others isn't a negative thing but coming out of my teens I realised that you cant help everyone. There will be some people in life who appreciate everything you do for them and others that will keep taking until you have nothing left to give. Its about talking a step back and looking at what positives you are getting from a relationship. This is all part of self care. Toxic relationships can take a lot from a person mentally and if you feel like you are in one sometimes the best thing to do is step away. Look to family and close friends for advice and an honest opinion.

Writing about this was difficult mainly because I have to admit that I am not always the best judge of character. I always try and see the best in people when I know I should have listened to others concerns. I am going to start taking my own advice and try looking after me and my family first. Lets see how long that lasts!

Look out for my future post on preparing for those moments when you're low and need a little help; meal prep!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When is it the right time to get help?

Welcome to my headspace!